Friday, January 6, 2017

In a Rut

Hello all you lovely people! And happy belated New Year 😊 I hope 2017 is treating you well so far and that you’re sticking to whatever resolutions you may have made (if you made any at all). Me? I don’t make resolutions. I have in the past and never stuck to them. I go into the New Year with an idea/plan of what I’d like to accomplish and try my best to achieve it all. So we’ll see how this year goes. 

Before I get rambling (because that’s what this post it totally going to be) let me take a minute to thank each and every one of you who downloaded a copy of WHEN THE HEART FALLS while it was free.  And a special shout out to Sheryl Mcnaught for her 5 Star review and Maria for her 4 star rating! Thanks so much for taking the time to rate my book and leave a review on Goodreads and/or Amazon.

Now … about the title of this post.

Yep, I’m a rut. I don’t even know if I can clarify it as just a writing rut, but I’m thinking it might be an overall life rut. I’m at this point where I just feel like I’m living in disarray and I really need to just figure out what the hell I’m doing. This balancing act of being a wife, mother, dog owner, full time employee, reader, writer, and whatever other title I can throw in there is so out of whack.  So, with that being said, one of my main goals this year is to get my shit together and make all of this work. My family and home life will always be the most important thing to me, but I also love being a writer and I really want to find a way to make it all work so I’m not running around like a crazy lady. I’ll do it, I know I will, it’s just going to take me some time.

There are a lot of things I want to accomplish in my personal life this year, but as far as my writing life goes my main goal is to FINISH LUKE’S BOOK. I have no idea why this book is taking me so long to finish. I have the whole thing outlined, and I know what I want to happen, but damn if I’m not having a hard time finding the words to make it all happen. Here’s a little backstory for those of you who haven’t followed me from the start of the series. I wrote Zane with the intentions of it being a standalone. But when I got writing it, I fell in love with the other characters so much I decided they needed stories of their own. Luke’s book was supposed to come next, but as I got into the story I realized that it just wasn’t his time for a happily ever after. He’s freakin’ Luke McKade! He doesn’t have girlfriends. He has one-nighters. It wasn’t true to his character to send him riding off into the sunset with his love in the second book, so I switched some stuff around a decided to write Norah’s story. After I completed her book, I did a lot of thinking and decided to start Luke’s book over with a whole new plot and story line. I love it, I really do, and I should be flying through writing it … but I’m not. Maybe a part of me just wants to keep him all to myself for as long as I can and that’s why I’m dragging my feet? Hahaha. I’m going to keep telling myself that, because it’s sure a lot nicer than “you’re terrible at this writing gig.” In all seriousness, I know a lot of you are waiting for Luke’s book, and I am going to do my absolute best to get his story completed for you.

Luke’s book is my top writing priority right now, but I also have a bunch of other stories I want to get out there as well. I loved writing my first novella WHAT’S LEFT OF ME and it is probably one of my favorite things I’ve ever written. There’s a quote I’ve seen on Pinterest many times by Ernest Hemingway that says, 

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” 


That’s what I did with this story. I poured so much emotion into it, and as cheesy as it sounds, I still get chills when I read over certain scenes or listen to the audio version … which I totally do because Tiffany Williams did an amazing job! (No shame in appreciating your own work.) I do have plans to write another novella that will contain characters from WHAT’S LEFT OF ME. I’d love to get that one out once Luke’s book is all done. Speaking of WHAT’S LEFT OF ME, I’m going to be doing a spotlight with Itsy Bitsy Books Bits very soon (January 12th to be exact). I’ll keep y’all posted on that ←Shameless plug, lol.

Well, this post is ridiculously long and full of nothing but ramblings … but, hey, I warned ya. If you made it this far high five! Maybe one of my goals this year can be to blog more. I do miss it, and I’ve said multiple times in the past that I want to start again, but never stuck to it. If I do blog more, it’s going to be random and full of nonsense … just like this post πŸ˜‰ If you’re cool with that I hope you stop by and maybe leave a comment every now and then just to say “Hi!” I like talking with y’all and I’m still working on finding the right social media platform to do that on. Any suggestions let me know.

Talk to y’all soon!
xoxo,
Kimberly

No comments: