Friday, January 2, 2015

Doing some edits and an excerpt...

I mentioned a couple of posts ago on my Facebook page that I'm in the process of going through my first novel, WHEN THE HEART FALLS, and doing some minor edits to the manuscript--just fixing some errors that I've found. So after reading through it, I kind of forgot how cute of a story it was, LOL. Dylan and Misty just make me smile, so I thought I'd share an excerpt of one of my favorite scenes 

Dylan let out an exasperated sigh. “Misty, please move. I’ve got work to do.”
“No. Not until you talk to me and we get this straightened out. Now where did you get the idea that I was taking Brad back?”
He dropped the bale of hay at his feet, removed his work gloves, and threw them on the floor. “I heard the two of you talking at the hospital.”
“What exactly did you hear?”
“Enough,” he said and took a seat on the bale of hay.
“Well obviously you heard wrong because the conversation I had with him didn’t end with me saying that I’d take him back,” she said heatedly.
“Misty, I heard you tell him that you love him. I think that pretty much sums it all up,” he threw back at her.
“Well maybe if you had stuck around long enough and talked to me you would have learned that I didn’t mean to tell him that I love him,” she yelled back, her voice increasing in volume.
“People don’t just say ‘I love you’, Misty. You had to mean it to say it.”
“I did mean it, Dylan!”
“I rest my case,” he said, throwing his hands up in defeat and moving to a standing position.
“I didn’t mean to say it to Brad. When I said it I thought I was talking to you!” she said, taking a deep breath to calm her anger.
A shocked expression spread across his face. “What?” he almost whispered.
She took another deep breath and replied, “The room was dark and I had just woken up. I remember calling out for you and a voice said ‘I’m here,’” she explained calmly.
He crossed the hay loft floor to where she stood and stopped a foot away from her. “You love me?”
She nodded her head and a slight smile tickled the corners of her mouth. “Yes,” she whispered.

No comments: