Monday, April 1, 2013

What's In A Book?

One of my favorite things about reading is getting the chance to talk about the book after I've finished it--whether I'm posting a review or telling a friend about it. What makes talking about it even more fun is talking about it to someone who has also read it. You can get into some pretty interesting conversations and it always amazes me when they didn't like a part of the novel (or the novel as a whole) that I just adored, or vice versa. When that happens I always want to know, "Why?" What is it about that particular scene (or novel) that you hated or loved? 

I actually had a rather long discussion with a friend of mine about the Fifty Shades of Grey novels. I knew she had read them and, because of all the hype, I was interested in seeing what was so amazing about these novels. She let me borrow the first one and I think I got about two chapters in and put it down, never to pick up again. I'm not about to sit here and put the book down or anything...it just wasn't my cup of tea. Anyway, after I read those two chapters, her and I talked about it and I just had to know why she loved these books so much. After hearing her out, she had almost persuaded me to give them another try. Almost :) 

So, with that little story out of the way, I'd like to ask you... What are some likes and/or dislikes you have about novels?

2 comments:

MK McClintock said...

Brave one--you at least opened Fifty Shades--I won't even do that. :)

I dislike insipid characters. I can get around a predictable plot line, but a book has to have good characters for me to read the whole thing.

Kimberly Lewis said...

LOL! Yes, brave indeed. I have a bad case of "curiosity killed the cat" syndrome :)