A Guest Post from Jill Hughey
Thanks for having me at your blog today! I’ve just released my fourth historical romance. After four long books, you’d think I’d have broken all my bad writing habits, but, alas, I still have a few that I will tell you about right after I give you my short blurb. The book is called Vain. In it, a tailor’s abandoned daughter fashions a vain nobleman’s tunic, finding passion between the neckline and hem as misfortune forces her into his precarious aristocratic world.
Now, on to my bad writing habits:
1. Writing scenes out of order. When I began my first novel a decade ago, I wrote the scenes I was most excited about first. I’ve learned it is not always easy to cobble a book together with all those randomly generated scenes, so I don’t let myself do that any more, though I still tend to write one or two of the pivotal moments. They give me the goal I am writing toward – this is where these characters are going.
2. Snacking. Sitting at the computer for hours on end requires oral stimulation. Coffee and carbs. I’ve gotten to the point that I try to limit myself to certain times of the day I am allowed to get something, and otherwise I stick to water. If I ever become successful enough to be a full-time writer, I will probably gain fifty pounds. Right now, even as I write this, I am talking myself out of a horribly sugary General Foods International Coffee.
3. Lack of commas. I wish I had counted the number of commas my editor added to Vain. There must have been a thousand.
4. Overuse of “but.” I tend to make sentences more complex than they need to be.
5. Oblivion. If I have something else I need to do on a writing day, I’d better do it first. Once I start writing, the time flies. Suddenly it is 5 o’clock, I have kids to pick up at practice and no dinner started.
There you have it. The bad and ugly side of my writing life! I hope you’ll check out my new book Vain at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, or most other online vendors. You can visit me on my blog, on Facebook, or on Twitter @jillhughey.Thanks for letting me visit today.
Today we welcome author Jill Hughey and her book "VAIN".
An amazing historical romance set in Charlemagne's empire in the 830s.
And the third instalment in the "Evolution Series"
Tour Wide Giveaways:
3 winners: - Paperback Copy (U.S only)
- E-copy (International)
- $15 Amazon Gift Card (U.S/International)a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway