Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My "Feral Sins" by Suzanne Wright Review (For ages 18+)

If your inner wolf and your body react rather enthusiastically to a psychotic Alpha male who’s own wolf has a tendency to turn feral, it can’t be a good thing, can it? Entering into a bargain with him wouldn’t be good either. Unfortunately, Taryn Warner, a latent wolf shifter, doesn’t have many options open to her right now. Okay, she has no options. Basically it comes down to whether she’ll do what it takes to escape the arranged mating with the sick SOB that her father set up. As the answer in this case is yes, it looks as though she’ll have to agree to Trey Coleman’s deal…she’ll have to mate with him instead. 

Having always disliked shifter politics, Trey Coleman hadn’t bothered trying to form alliances with other packs. Now that his uncle – a wolf with many alliances – means to take Trey’s territory and his pack, he has no option but to form some alliances of his own very quickly or he’ll be easily outnumbered in the upcoming battle. He figures that the easiest way to do that would be to mate with a female who’s Alpha is powerful and influential. There’s only one problem with that – he would then be stuck with her, and the last thing Trey wants is a mate. When he hears of Taryn’s situation, he offers her a deal – if she falsely claims he’s her true mate and allows him to claim her, he’ll save her from her arranged mating and then let her leave after the battle with his uncle is over. 

Sounds like a pretty straightforward deal...but soon Taryn and Trey realize they got more than they bargained for. Their mating instincts to protect and possess are weighing on them, they crave each other’s touch and company, and their inner wolves don’t like it whenever they’re apart. Add in that they’ll have to deal with this for an entire three months until the day of the battle finally arrives, and they’ve got themselves a recipe for disaster – or maybe for something quite the opposite. 

Warning: This novel contains an extremely sarcastic Alpha female, a broody possessive Alpha male, bitter in-laws, voyeuristic enforcers, a whole lot of dirty talk, and steamy bedroom battles for dominance. Reader Advisory: This book also contains a graphic ménage scene - not for the faint-hearted.


My Review:

Before we get into the actual review I would just like to say that I've pondered posting this review for a while now. I really, really don't like to post book reviews that I have negative comments about. But, with that being said, I really did enjoy reading the book. It just so happens that there are parts of this particular book that I also absolutely hated. But I've decided to not let that stop me from posting this review because it was a good read--there were just some parts that could have been left out in my opinion. In case you're wondering, it has everything to do with that "graphic menage scene that isn't for the faint-hearted" the author warns you about.
This is the first full on paranormal erotic romance novel that I have ever read, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. What I got was a novel full of humor, sarcasm, heat, and unexpected true love. Both of our main characters are wolf shifters. Trent is the alpha male of his pack and is known for his wolf turning feral at times. Taryn belongs to a different pack with her father being the alpha male. Although she is an important asset to her pack, having the ability to heal, she is outcasted by her father for being a latent, but Taryn’s wolf is very much still a part of her even though she can’t fully shift. Our characters lives get tangled up when Trent proposes an offer to Taryn in an effort to build an alliance with her father. Trent is feuding with his uncle who wants control over Trent’s pack and territory, so Trent is trying to build alliances with other packs for reinforcement. Taryn sees this as a way to finally escape from her father and the arranged mating she has to another alpha wolf, so she agrees to Trent’s proposal. Now the two of them must fake being true mates (wolf shifters have soul mates and when they find them they mate for life) but the events that occur throughout the novel make them realize that this “mating” is far from being fake.
There were a lot of things that I enjoyed about this novel. Taryn was hilarious and should earn the title of “Come-back Queen”. That girl had a sarcastic retort every time someone tried to get under her skin. Reading her interact with the other characters was rather humorous and I found myself laughing out loud during some parts. She is a very strong character, being an alpha female, and doesn’t back down to anything or anyone. This causes some interesting interactions with her and Trent because, with him being an alpha male and all, they tend to fight for the dominant status. Trent was the most alpha male character I have ever read. I liked that about him because it made him very protective but that protectiveness was downright possessive at times. I also liked that towards the end of the novel a sweeter side of him came out and it was so heartwarming to see how he reacted so tenderly to certain things.
Now, although I enjoyed this novel very much there are some things that I really just didn’t care for-- at all! We know Trent is an alpha male and that that role can make him very possessive. That being said, the constant claiming that Taryn was his b**** kind of got on my nerves. No, not kind of...it really got on my nerves. I mean, I know they are wolves and all and that that is a proper term for a female dog but I just didn’t care for it. The second thing that I absolutely did not care for (at all!) was a rather graphic sex scene towards the end of the novel. The author describes it in her warning as a very graphic ménage. I don't normally read books that have menages--that just isn't my thing--but the story sounded good so I figured "Eh, why not?" Now I don’t know about you, but when I think “ménage” I think 3, maybe 4 people at the most. No folks. This was 7 to 1. 7 to 1!!! It did not make any sense to have it in this novel and it did nothing for the storyline. I felt that it was degrading to Taryn’s character. I mean, here we have this strong, alpha female who is supposed to be respected by her pack mates and to see her put in this position where her lower ranking pack mates used her like that was just awful. Just reading the scene made me feel violated. I want to add in that Taryn was a willing participant in this event so it’s not like she was being forced to do it--although it was not her idea. I just think that this part did not need to be in the story and it really didn’t make any sense seeing as Trent was so obsessive and possessive of her throughout the entire novel (claiming that no other wolf was allowed to touch her, talk to her, or even look at her in an admiring way) and then decided to share her with other members of his pack. Seriously? The whole thing was just out of my element and unlike anything I’ve ever read before and completely unexpected.
All in all I did enjoy reading the rest of the story. I liked the authors writing style and found that the storyline flowed rather nicely. Would I read another novel by this author? Yes, most definitely...but I'll read through the reviews thoroughly first to prepare myself instead of just relying on the star rating. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys reading wolf shifter erotic romances. Just skip over that graphic scene towards the end when they arrive home after his birthday bash…unless you’re into that sort of thing, then by all means read away:-)

My Rating:
3 out of 5 Stars--I would have given this book a 4 or maybe even a 5 star rating if it weren't for that graphic, unnecessary scene towards the end. 
Book Content:
Graphic adult language, graphic sexual situations, and violence. Reader discretion is advised.

No comments: