Monday, November 19, 2012

Things I am Thankful for – Post #1

November has arrived (obviously, lol) and with that brings the start of the holiday season. I absolutely adore the holidays—even with all the chaos that comes with it. Luckily I get to avoid the stress of holiday travel because all of my loved ones are within a half hour of where I live :-) Seriously though, I’ve been seeing a lot of people do this “30 Days of Thanks” thing on Facebook and Twitter and I think it’s a really great and fun idea. I’m a little late to the party, but here goes. This first post is dedicated to my family.

My husband: Gosh, where to begin? He is truly one amazing man. I have so much admiration for him and I feel so blessed to have him in my life. He works so hard to provide for our little family (a lot harder than any other man I know) and I appreciate all that he does. But I think the best part of our relationship is that even though we love each other we are also best friends. We were friends for about eight months before we started dating, and I think it’s that foundation of friendship that keeps us going strong and respectful of each other.

My son: I don’t think anyone can truly understand the wonderful blessing of a child until you have one of your own (not necessarily giving birth to a child but to care for one and nurture them as they grow into adults). My son is the greatest gift I have ever received. He makes me laugh and smile everyday and also warms my heart with the little things he does that are so darn precious. I just love that kid so much!

My mother: She is my confidant and my rock. I literally would not survive if she were not a part of my life. When I’m feeling down and need someone to lean on, she’s always there. I can count on her for anything and I feel so blessed to have her for my mother.

My mother-in-law & father-in-law: I honest to God have the BEST in-laws anyone could ask for. My mother-in-law is seriously one of my best friends. If ever need anything I can always turn to her for support and advice. She is also one great shopping companion! That woman has the best sense of style and I’d like to thank her for helping me evolve into a more stylish person :-) And my father-in-law can always be counted on for advice—whether it be on how to fix something or how to handle a situation. I love them both very much.

My sister-in-law: She’s just great :-) I really enjoy the time we get to spend together and she is an amazing baker/cook. She and my mother-in-law are the ones who got me into cake decorating and going to those classes with them was so much fun!

My Aunt Jan, Uncle Floyd and Cousin Kristi: They are seriously my second family. I’ve always thought of my Aunt Jan & Uncle Floyd as second parents and my cousin Kristi as a sister. I love them all very much and can count on them for anything!

My maternal grandmother and uncle: Both very caring and wonderful people! I always favored my grandmother growing up because she never lied to me or gave me the “G” version of things, LOL. Growing up my favorite movie was Steel Magnolias and at my young age I didn’t understand everything in that movie. So of course I asked my grandmother and she graciously answered my questions. A few years ago I was telling this story to my mother and the look on her face was priceless when I told her about one specific question I asked and the answer my grandmother gave me. Too funny :-)

My paternal grandparents: They are the most down-home, country type people I know. They’ve been through so much the past few years—both dealing with various cancers and my grandmother having a double mastectomy earlier this year. They are survivors for sure and I’m so thankful to still have them around after all they’ve been through.

My brother: Even though we don’t talk much now and really haven’t since we grew into adults, I am thankful that he was a part of my life growing up. I don’t think I would have had the same childhood had he not been around.

My father: I am thankful that he is a part of my life and for doing the little things he could throughout the years. He’s been through so much these past few years and I hope that one day things will turn around for him and he won’t have so much on his shoulders.

That’s where I’m going to stop for today :-) I have a very, very large family (it would take me forever to say something about each and every one of them!) and I am honestly thankful to have all of them in my life.

Who are some of the people you are most thankful for?

No comments: