Monday, September 24, 2012

Interview with Carolyn Brown, author of Mistletoe Cowboy!

Okay folks, today we have one of my favorite western romance authors visiting with us today! Please help me give a warm welcome to Carolyn Brown!

Good Morning, everyone! Thank you, Kimberly, for inviting me to visit here today. It’s only a week until Mistletoe Cowboy hits the book stores and I’m so excited about it. Wouldn’t it be fun to find a cowboy like Creed under your Christmas tree?

KL: What inspired you to become a western romance author?
CB: Write about what you know. That’s what folks tell us and I believe it. If I tried to write about a chef in New York City, it would come across as fake and believe me readers can spot a fake in the first paragraph. I have written both contemporary and historical books, series and stand alone titles in both, and somehow the rancher or cowboy seems to come through in all of them. It’s what I know and love. It’s where I live and what I see on a daily basis. I was inspired to write romance because it’s all about emotion. Whether historical, contemporary, regency or paranormal, it’s the emotion in the book that touches the reader. If an author can make a reader feel those emotions—tears, laughter, anger, fear—they’ve succeeded in their mission. Cowboys are usually pretty good at touching reader’s emotions!

KL: Do you ever bring events that have happened from your life experiences into your novels?
CB: Of course. My life experiences, my step-father’s (he ran moonshine in prohibition days), my granny’s (she was a young bride when the flu epidemic hit in 1919), my granddaughter’s (she was scared on the first day of kindergarten). We use what we have and what we know. We dress it up, dress it down, change the names but it all goes back to writing what we know. Yes, I’ve been rolled in the snow but no, I have not been skinny dipping with a handsome cowboy (I kept my bathing suit on).

KL: If you had to pick one of your books (or series) to be made into a movie, which would you choose and why? Do you have any particular actors & actresses in mind for the leading roles?
CB: I would love to see the Spikes & Spurs made into a movie or even a mini-series. Since I was asked to do a casting call for Love Drunk Cowboy and Red’s Hot Cowboy previously, let’s put out a casting call for Mistletoe Cowboy today. Timothy Olymphant could play Creed. I love his swagger and smile. Katherine Heigl’s would be perfect for Sage’s role. The dynamics between those two would be awesome.

KL: How do you come up with your stories? Do you carefully plan each detail out before you start writing or are you a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of writer?
CB: I try to do that detail stuff but it never works. My characters work with me on the first chapter and by chapter two they’ve tossed all the details out in the yard and taken over. They tell me how the story goes and what to write. And they’re right demanding. They can and will wake me up out of a dead sleep to tell me that I wrote the last scene wrong and need to fix it before I go on.

KL: Mistletoe Cowboy comes out in October. What can readers expect to see from you in this novel?
CB: The title says that it’s a Christmas book. They will see a match making grandmother on a long distance mission to make her granddaughter, Sage, find true love. They’ll see mistletoe temptation every time Sage turns around. And a sexy cowboy with a killer smile. Put them all together for three weeks in a violent winter storm that closes the roads into the Palo Duro Canyon and cuts off the power, shake well, and see what happens.

KL: Were there any particular scenes or chapters of Mistletoe Cowboy that you enjoyed writing?
CB: I loved the scene when they meet for the first time. He thinks he’s got it made. There is no way that she can get to the ranch with the roads closed. She thinks her grandmother can’t possibly get out of the canyon with the snow storm in full blast. Surprise, surprise when he barrels in the back door looking like the abominable snow man and the ugliest dog on the face of the earth dashes in ahead of him.

KL: After Mistletoe Cowboy you have Just a Cowboy and His Baby coming out in December. Would you care to share anything about that novel?
CB: This is Gemma’s story. She’s the youngest sibling in the O’Donnell family (Love Drunk
Cowboy
and Darn Good Cowboy Christmas) and she’s determined to be the second woman to win the buckle and the money for saddle bronc busting in Las Vegas at the Pro Rodeo competition. Only trouble is she’s going up against Trace Coleman, who is just as determined to win so he can buy his dream ranch. Only one can win and it’s a fight to the finish, even when a baby gets dropped right in their laps during the rodeo tour.

KL: What do you have in store for your readers next year? Please say more sexy cowboys:-)
CB: Oh, yes. Keep your boots on and your hat handy because there are definitely more cowboys on the way. A brand new set of single titles will debut in the spring when a billionaire cowboy buys a bride. Then in October there’s a cowboy who did not believe in internet dating until he spent a year in Kuwait and comes home at Christmas to find a big surprise waiting for him. And after that we’ll finish up the Spikes & Spurs with Dewar’s story as he and his cousins drive a hundred head of cattle from north Texas to Dodge City in a reenactment for a reality television show. AND…I love that word because it means more! My very first women’s fiction book will be published by Sourcebooks in March—The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society Jubilee. Full of humor, it’s about four friends who stick together through tough times in Cadillac, Texas.

And now it’s time for some “just for fun” questions:-)

KL: If you were stranded on a deserted island and had the luxury of having 3 books, and only 3, which 3 would you choose and why?
CB: Oh, my! Only three? Okay, I’ll have to choose carefully. The Bible because it’ll give me hours and hours of reading instead of just one day. Cold Sassy Tree because it makes me laugh. And Scarlett because I really wanted Scarlett O’Hara to have a happy ever after.

KL: List 5 things you absolutely cannot live without:
CB: As in food: doughnuts, coffee, hamburgers, warm chocolate chip cookies and milk. As in other than food: books, friends, books, family and books.
__________________________________________________________________

MISTLETOE COWBOY

'Tis the season for...

A matchmaking grandmother on a long distance mission...

Mistletoe temptation in every doorway...

And a sexy cowboy with a killer smile.

When Grand Presley agrees to sell Creed Riley the Rockin' C Ranch for a  song at Christmas time, he can hardly believe his good fortune. There's just one little catch...her tantalizing granddaughter, Sage, is part of the plan.

Please enjoy this excerpt from Mistletoe Cowboy!

     Her hand flew up to her pounding heart and she backed up against the cabinet.
     The abominable snowman pushed his way into the house behind something that was either the ugliest dog on the face of the earth or an alien from a faraway planet. The huge thing set a galvanized bucket of milk on the table and a basket of eggs right beside it before he stomped his feet on the rug under the coat rack. The dog stopped in the middle of the kitchen floor and shook from shoulder to tail, sending even more snow flying everywhere in her kitchen. When it melted there would be water everywhere and her socks would be soaked. 
     “Who the hell are you? Get out of here and take that miserable mutt with you,” Sage said.
     Creed removed his old felt cowboy hat and pulled off the face mask. His nose was scarlet and his dark eyelashes dusted with snowflakes. And of all the crazy things, there was a spring of mistletoe stuck in the snow on his shoulder as if it had grown there.
     “I’m Creed Riley, ma’am, and I reckon if you want to throw your dog out in the snow that’s your business, but I’m not that mean or cruel to animals. And I’m here to stay since I’m the cowboy who bought this ranch. I guess you’d be Sage Presley. I didn’t think you’d make it home in this blizzard. I heard the roads were closed off.”
     He was well over six feet tall because Sage had to look up to him. His brown hair was a bit too long, and his mossy green eyes were rimmed with black lashes topped with heavy dark brows. His deep voice held a definite Texas drawl.
     She backed up to the cabinet and braced herself against it. “Where is Grand? Is she behind you?”
     “No, left a day early since the storm was coming in. I expect she’s in Pennsylvania by now where it’s fifty degrees and sunshiny today. Crazy, ain’t it? We get a blizzard and the east coast is downright pleasant. At least it was yesterday when she called to tell me that she’d made it fine and to tell you so when you got home. Guess her cell phone’s battery was dead and her sister didn’t have one so she called on a pay phone from the airport.”
     Sage rolled her eyes. “You have got to be kiddin’ me!”
     “No, ma’am! That’s the truth and that’s really not my dog. I’m bringing my two huntin’ dogs out here soon as we make this sale legal, but this old boy just appeared out of nowhere this morning and rushed right in with me. I figured he belonged on the property. He wasn’t none too pretty when he was covered in snow, but it was covering a multitude of ugly, wasn’t it?”
     Sage crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him. 
     He ignored her and started peeling away layers of clothing, taking the time to hang them on a coat rack just inside the back door. He didn’t stop until he was down to jeans, socks, and a red and black flannel shirt.
     What have you done, Grand? she thought.
     The blizzard would end. The sun would come out and melt the snow. Electricity would be restored along with power lines and cell phone coverage. And Sage could have talked her out of the sale a hell of a lot easier face to face than over the telephone—if they ever got service back in the canyon.
     This was Sage’s home and it wasn’t supposed to be sold to some rank stranger, even if his green eyes were sexy as hell with snow hanging on the lashes like that fake stuff out of a can that she and Grand sprayed on the windows when she was a little girl.
     “Coffee smells good. Reckon it’s about ready?” he asked. “Thank goodness for a full propane tank. Miz Ada told me that she has a standing order with the propane company out of Claude. And you can wipe that mean look off your face, lady. We’re stuck here together until this ends. I’m not real happy about being holed up with you either, but it’s the way it is and we might as well make the best of it.”
     Her eyes narrowed and her brow wrinkled. 
     You want your face to freeze with that nasty look on it? Her grandmother’s words came back to haunt her.
     “Number one, Mr. Riley, you don’t tell me how to look or what to do. Number two, Mr. Riley, Grand won’t ever sell you this place, so don’t get too comfortable.” 
     “Rule number one, lady, I speak my mind, so get used to it. Rule number two, I’m settling in and getting comfortable because I think she will sell the ranch to me. The deed will say that you get to live on the ranch as long as you want when the sale is sealed, signed, and finished. And back to rule number one, darlin’, if you want your face to freeze like that, then just hold on to that nasty look,” Creed said. 
     Her face softened, but she wasn’t ready to smile and welcome the damn cowboy. Not yet, probably not ever.
__________________________________________________________________

About Carolyn Brown

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Carolyn Brown has published more than sixty books. Her books have been reprinted in large print, translated into foreign languages, reprinted in Manga, and three are now available in audio books. She and her Husband, a retired English teacher who does not read her work until it is published, live in southern Oklahoma. They have three grown children and enough grandchildren to keep them young forever...and two tom cats who rule the back yard.

__________________________________________________________________
Giveaway!
Wow, I don't know about y'all but I'm excited to read this book! Lucky for you Carolyn will be giving away 2 paperback copies of Mistletoe Cowboy to two random commentors on this post! So if you want to read more of Creed and Sage's story leave a comment below for your chance to win! I'll draw the winners and announce them on October 3rd! Good luck to all who enter!

And Carolyn, thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog today! It's an honor having you here:-)

40 comments:

Carolyn Brown said...

Good morning everyone! I've got coffee and I'm ready to visit. Got questions or comments!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn -

Great interview! It would be awesome to see your book series in a mini-series for TV! Have a good day!

Missy
misbaglady@yahoo.com

Carolyn Brown said...

Missy, from your lips to the powers that buy series ears! I'd love to see the Spikes & Spurs in a mini series!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
A decade ago your fictional fantasies inspired me to begin writing.
Following the unforgettable characters you've created in your many books has convinced me these characters MUST be brought to life in movies.
How do we let those-in-power understand what they're missing?
Carol
chloeblaire@ymail.com

Carolyn Brown said...

Carol, you just made my day! If you have any magic up your sleeves, toss a little dust on those powers for me! I'm so glad that you were inspired to write!

yiayiax3@hotmail.com said...

Carol, I enjoyed reading the interview, learning a little more about you! I can only say that I wish I had a copy of EACH of your books!! I'd forgotten how much I love cowboys until I started reading about yours!
Kathy

Sheilah said...

Carolyn I'm very interested in your work. Would love to win a copy of Mistletoe Cowboy. Will be happy when I can find a place to purchase your books. I live in Ryan so have to travel to look for them. Thanks and keep up the great writing!

Anonymous said...

I just finished The Ladies Room and loved it. I look forward to reading Mistletoe Cowboy and Dewar's story.

Carolyn Brown said...

Kathy, keep your boots on because there are more cowboys on the way. I just signed a four book contract for the Cowboys' Brides series which will debut in June 2013 with Billion Dollar Cowboy. It's about a rich cowboy who buys a bride!

Carolyn Brown said...

Sheilah, so glad you stopped by today. Most of the Spikes & Spurs are set down in your part of the world. They are available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble online and I do believe the Duncan and Bowie Wal-Mart will have them.

Carolyn Brown said...

Anonymous: So glad that you liked The Ladies Room. You might also like the woman's fiction that is coming out in March 2013: The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society Jubilee!

Kimberly Lewis said...

Carolyn, thank you so much for being a guest in my blog today! I had a lot of fun with the interview and am really looking forward to Mistletoe Cowboy!

And thank you to everyone who stopped by today to support Carolyn! You all are awesome:-) Make sure you check back on Oct. 3rd to see if you're one of the lucky winners!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read this lovely novel!! I've been waiting to hear Creed's story so I am very excited!!! You rock Carolyn!


Teresa.bautista@me.com

Carolyn Brown said...

Kimberly, thank you for inviting me. It's been fun to start my blog tour for Mistletoe Cowboy at your site! Good luck to all the folks who have commented!

Carolyn Brown said...

Teresa! It'll be here next week. Good luck on the drawing and I hope you really, really like it!

Anonymous said...

O Carolyn that excerpt made me wish I had the book already! Can't wait to get it and I know it's going to be an amazing book!!!

cathy087@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

WOW! I can't believe it's almost here!! The Spikes & Spurs series is my FAVORITE!!! Where do you get the inspiration for all of these awesome novels??

haveyouseenmyfriend@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

YAY! I can't wait to read about the sexy Creed and the sassy Sage! Thank you for being such and amazing author, your writing is the BEST!

jenlyou1@utm.edu

Kim said...

The excerpt had me begging for more!! Can not wait to read this lovely novel!! Sounds like a whole lot of fun!!

azul-kim101@live.com

Abigail said...

October 2 can not get here quicker! You have always been one of my favorite authors, and I am so excited that Mistletoe Cowboy is almost here!!
What is your favorite book out of the Spikes & Spurs series?

orangeestrella2@hotmail.com

Terri said...

I just reread One Hot Cowboy Wedding, and man it has me wanting more! O Carolyn you don't know how much I appreciate your writing! You have a beautiful talent, and I thank you for sharing it with us!
Where does the inspiration for these characters come from?

20.27.26@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thant wait to read another one of your fantastic novels! You really are one of my favorite authors!

Lovelola207@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome interview!!! Makes me get real excited bout what's gonna happen in Mistletoe Cowboy!

Sw33tpe4@live.com

Abby said...

Hooray for Cowboy romance novels!! I am very happy that this book is finally being released, I have been anticipating the arrival of this novel for a LONG time! And since its coming from you, I know it's gonna be amazing!!

St4rgirll@ymail.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome interview! Gets me real pumped for this novel!!! Thanks Carolyn for being such a great author! You truly make reading a lot more enjoyable and pleasant!


Lilcody_0192@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome excerpt and great summary!! Can't wait till Mistletoe Cowboy comes out! Please continue to write the best books ever!!


Jyoung40@murraystate.edu

Carolyn Brown said...

Cathy: One week from today is the publication date. Creed and Sage are stomping at the bit to jump out into the world.

Carolyn Brown said...

haveyouseenmyfriend: Inspiration comes from the strangest places. A trip down through the Palo Duro Canyon gave me Mistletoe Cowboy. I could just see two people falling in love in that desolate place.

Carolyn Brown said...

jenlyou: Your comment has inflated my ego for the day. So glad that you like my cowboys. They are such fun to write about!

Carolyn Brown said...

Kim, glad you liked the snippet...here's hoping that you can't put the book down when you have one!

Carolyn Brown said...

Abigail, today Creed and Sage get the top billing for being my favorite. But each one has had a turn at being the favorite when all the fan fare about publication has arrived. Just a Cowboy and His Baby is next (Gemma's story) and next August we finish up the series with Dewar's story (The Cowboy Seeks a Bride). Keep your boots on though, there's another series in the works.

Carolyn Brown said...

Terri, I love it when readers tell me that they read one of my books a second time. Ace and Jasmine are really happy that you got to know them even better a second time around.

Carolyn Brown said...

Lovelola! And now my ego is really puffed up...thank you, thank you! Hope you continue to love the Spikes & Spurs and then go right into the Cowboys' Brides series with as much gusto.

Carolyn Brown said...

Sw33: Thank you for coming by and visiting today. There's lots happening in the canyon when the electricity goes out and Creed and Sage are thrown together for days and days with no way out!

Carolyn Brown said...

Abby, you are so sweet! Grab a throw, pretend it's Christmas and enjoy the ride!

Carolyn Brown said...

Lilcody: YAY!! Creed and Sage can't wait to tell you their story. They even woke me up at night to pester me if they thought I wasn't telling things just the way they happened.

Carolyn Brown said...

Jyoung: WOW! I'm so glad that you think they are the best books ever and as long as readers continue to read, I will definitely continue to write!

Teresa said...

So excited for tomorrow and Wednesday when we finally get to know who the winners are!!! This week is just full with such exciting news!!

Do you know what time the winners will be announced?

Kimberly Lewis said...

Hi Teresa! I love your excitement! I will have the winners posted on my blog, facebook and twitter page no later than 6am EST tomorrow morning. Good luck to you!

And happy release day to Carolyn Brown!

Carolyn Brown said...

Hey Teresa! Today is the launch day for Mistletoe Cowboy. I'm so so excited! Now available at B&N, Amazon and on bookshelves everywhere. Good luck on the drawing tomorrow!

Kimberly, Thank you again!