Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Promotion - What do you really need to do?

So I've been thinking a lot lately about things I need to do promotion wise for my new novel, and I was hoping to get some input from you all. I plan on posting excerpts in the near future and I'm also doing a book tour. But the one thing I'm not real sure if I need to do is a book trailer. I had never seen or heard of these before until I published my first novel, and I thought the idea for it was neat but I just wonder how effective they really are at promoting your work. What's your opinion? Do you like book trailers? Have you ever wanted to read a book just because of the trailer, or do you find the traditional way of reading the synopsis better? I'd love some feedback on this so please feel free to leave a comment or email me directly (see "contact me" page for email address). Thanks everyone and have a great Monday!

4 comments:

MK said...

I haven't found a direct link between book trailers and increased book sales, but that's not necessarily the idea. Book trailers have to be thought of as just another promotion tool. People see it, associate it with the book and author and perhaps it piques their interest, perhaps not.

If you can create it yourself, then it doesn't hurt to put one out there (YouTube is a high traffic place). If you have to pay someone, then you'd have to decide if it's worth the cost.

I've had a lot of people email me and mention my book trailers, but I think it comes down to a personal choice and what your return would be in the long run.

Caroline Clemmons said...

One thing to do before you start promoting is pick three or so excerpts from your book that end with a cliffhanger so you don't use the same excerpt in ever post. Don't give too much away, just whet the reader's appetite.

I agree with MK about a trailer. I've never bought a book because of one, but the idea is to impress your author brand on the reader from as many directions as possible.

emaginette said...

To be honest, I hate the interviews, everyone asks the same questions. I wish someone would ask about something and it takes me by surprise. If you do it make sure the good questions are placed in the top three. I never get farther than that.

Kimberly Lewis said...

Thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback!

MK, I may give the book trailer a try and see how it turns out. Can't hurt to try, can it? LOL.

Caroline, I'll have to think of which excerpts I wanna post and make sure they end with a cliffhanger.

Emaginette, You know I feel the same about some interviews as I find myself just skimming them instead of fully reading them. I can't really control others questions but for my own blog I'll keep that info in mind:)

Thanks again, ladies! I really appreciate your feedback:)