Thursday, May 24, 2012

My "Hunter Moon" by Cait Lavender Review

Bawling cattle tore Shelby Flint from her bed. With lawyer fees to pay in her struggle to keep her ranch from the clutches of her greedy cousins, she couldn’t afford the loss of even one calf. When she sees a large wolf circling her cows, she aims and fires. While the wolf escapes, Shelby can’t seem to get away from her troubles when a marijuana grower sets up shop on her land, sabotaging her property and eventually coming after her. Adding to that, a handsome game warden is poking his nose into her business and working his way underneath her skin. Shelby will have to fight harder than she ever fought before to keep from losing her heart and everything she ever loved.






My Review:
I’m just going to go ahead and admit this right now. When I first read the synopsis for this novel I thought it was all over the place. Here we have twenty-six year old Shelby Flint who inherits her grandfather’s ranch; the same ranch she was raised on by said grandfather and helped maintain throughout the years. On top of having to run the ranch by herself now, she has to deal with her money hungry cousins suing her as they believe she put their grandfather up to willing her the land instead of selling it and splitting the profits with the family. Shelby is having enough trouble making ends meet without the added lawyer fees and new form of trouble for her herd of cattle in the form of a large wolf that she finds hovering around her property. Things couldn’t get any worse, right? Wrong. To top off the list of bad things going on in her life, she stumbles across a dead body on her property and soon finds out that marijuana growers are using her land for their product. Little bit of everything in this book, huh? That being said, the author really makes this work. The novel is written from Shelby’s point of view and I really enjoyed seeing things through her eyes. I will also say that I loved her inner monologues. LOL. She had me cracking up more than once through this read. I have never read a book before with a heroine like Shelby. She is a no-nonsense, gun wielding, strong willed woman who doesn’t back down to anyone. She fights for what is hers and isn’t afraid to stand her ground. That being said, I also liked how she interacted with Cash Newcomb, the new game warden in town and Shelby’s love interest. Cash has this ability to make Shelby shed her tough girl exterior and lose herself in the moment. The relationship between the two of them was so teasingly sexy that I actually felt every bit of sexually frustrated as Shelby. And Cash. Cash is just so…sigh. He is super sexy and very alpha male, which makes him way protective of Shelby. I loved their whole love/hate relationship and how the two of them just couldn’t stay away from each other. I read this novel in one day, staying up well past my bed time just to finish it. The only complaint I have about this novel is the fact that it ended:) I swear, when I hit that last page I honestly didn’t believe it was over. I kept swiping my finger across my kindle screen to get the page to turn, and when it didn’t I started tapping it like a mad person. If my kindle had the ability to file assault charges against me I think it would, lol. Honestly this was a very, very good novel. Cait Lavender is a talented writer and I’m expecting big things from her. That being said…Cait, please hurry up and write the next novel because I’m dying to know what happens next!


My Rating:
5 out of 5 Stars


Book Content:
Some Adult language, Mild Sexual Situations and Mild Violence

3 comments:

lynne butler said...

I wouldn't buy a book based on a synopsis which is so poorly written. Bawling cattle tore her from her bed? I suspect this should mean that the sound of bawling cattle was responsible for waking her up, as opposed to the animals themselves. The author then switched from past tense to present in the middle of the paragraph. Is there no editor? These are rookie writing mistakes that any editor would spot. Errors like that are so distracting that I personally wouldn't make it through the first page of the book.

Kimberly Lewis said...

Hi Lynne! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment:) I agree that the synopsis for this book is not the greatest and if I came across it while browsing I would not have purchased it at all. I actually bought and read the book because I stumbled upon her book tour on a blog I follow. The excerpts were good and drew me in, so I took the plunge and decided to give it a shot. I believe I did catch an error here or there but it didn't bother me. I enjoyed the story a lot and based my rating on that:) I appreciate the honesty in your comment. New writers need that sort of feedback to grow and become better at what they are striving to do. Thanks again!

MK said...

I felt the same way Kimberly did at first, but I read the book for a tour review and it turned out to be an entertaining read, which is what I had also based me review upon. Nice review Kimberly.

Lynne - that kind of feedback is helpful, especially for new Indie authors. I know a similar comment on one of my first books had me pulling it to run through an editor when I could. I would have liked an email better than a public comment, but the book will be better for it. Cowboy Moon is an entertaining and fun read if you like paranormal romance.